Mottled Glass Vase, c. 1925
Charles Scheneider (1881 – 1953)
Charles Schneider was born 1881 and became a leader in the glass world during the art nouveau and art deco periods. Schneider began working with glass in 1918 and had an apprenticeship with the world renowned firm, Daum Freres. Schneider and his brother Ernest opened a glassworks in Epinay-sur-Seine, France. Due to being called for military service, they did not begin production until after WWI.
Charles designed the two lines of glassworks to be sold, the Schneider line and Le Verre Francais line. During its heyday in 1926 the firm employed 500 craftsmen. Charles designed the pieces and was personally involved in production of the pieces.
Schneider’s reputation was catapulted after their display at the International Decorative Arts Exposition in Paris in 1925. Charles Schneider acted as a judge, so his pieces were not in the competition, but he was later awarded the Legion of Honor.