Glass Vase, Loetz
Glass Vase – Loetz
Used signature Loetz techniques from the turn of the century.
In 1836, a glassworks was set up in the now Czech Republic. The heirs sold it to Martin Schmid in 1849, who sold it in 1851 to Frank Gerstner and his wife Susanne. Gerstner transferred sole ownership to Susanne in 1855. Susanne was the widow of Johann Loetz, a glassmaker whom there is little information about, and the name of the glassworks became Johann Loetz Witwe (widow). In 1879, the company was transferred to her grandson, Maximilian von Spaun.
In the mid-1890s, Louis Comfort Tiffany began producing a highly sought after style of glass that he called Favrile, treating molten glass with metallic oxides which created a luxurious surface effect. Glass prior to this was often painted in order to create color. This style was reproduced by many artists including Loetz, who made pieces in the same style, but they were significantly cheaper than the high-priced Tiffany pieces. He manufactured pieces and marketed them as “in the Tiffany style”. He began with his Phänomen variants, and began making simpler versions which would often include organic shapes and multiple indentations.
His Phänomen pieces were successful; however, after 1903, interest took a decline which continued until 1905. The company stayed in production until the 1940s and pieces were still of high quality, but the company was never to be as it was at the turn of the century.